Sunday 6 January 2013

Netherlands pt3.1: Amsterdam! Rijksmuseum

Disclaimer: Late post. Oh well. Part 1 and 2 of Netherlands are here and here






IAmsterdam: Did you know that this is one of the most photographed spots in Amsterdam? 












I had a really great time that day. The weather was also very amazing, it was probably 29 degrees Celsius that day. 

I've always wanted to go to the Rijksmuseum and so my lovely friend took me there. 

Unlike the National Gallery in London, the Rijksmuseum is not free to attend (ticket price was €12 - 14 when me and my friend went). 

We were also 'allowed'* to take photographs in the Rijksmuseum which was quite surprising to me because the National Gallery in London has a strict no photo policy... I suppose it's to protect the art so it was strange to me that it was allowed in the Rijksmuseum.

The Rijksmuseum is also a whole lot smaller than the National Gallery in London. When we sort of got to the end I was like 'this is it?'. Nonetheless, I had a really wonderful time and I'm so glad I saw De Nachtwacht (The Night Watch) in person! 

*I remember reading on the Rijksmuseum website that you can't take photographs but the security there never stopped anyone from taking them. 

Inside the Rijksmuseum:


















I like this portrait of current Dutch Queen Beatrix by Andy Warhol. 










At primary school (I went to primary school in the Netherlands), we did history and learned a bit about Dutch art so I was really glad to see this painting in person!



This is an Yves Saint Laurent Mondrian inspired dress (Mondriaan was a Dutch painter who painted some abstract paintings and the dress was based on that).

Visit the Rijksmuseum if you're an art lover. Also visit other museums in Amsterdam such as the Van Gogh Museum, (I'll definitely do this next time!). Sightseeing and checking out museums is a great way to familiarise yourself with Dutch culture.